Vitesse heater

To: "Linkens, Andy" <alinkens@nuera.com>
Subject: Vitesse heater
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:50:26 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumph_cars@egroups.com>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Linkens, Andy"
>The heater is pretty poor on my Vitesse - taking a long time before any
sort
of heat is produced from the air vent. I've installed a warmer thermostat
(which should help with the final temperature) but I was wondering why it
should take so long to warm up as the radiator is not in circuit initially?
What's the difference between these older cars and more modern cars (which
heat up v. quickly).
Is it possible to modify the "plumbing" so that the heater is much more
effective?
thanks
<

One difference is that the heater in the old car is somewhat plugged and
the coolant doesn't flow like it should.  Have you tried flushing out the
heater core?  Does the control valve open completely?  Is the air that
comes out cool in temperature or is it plenty warm but just miniscule in
volume?

I have never driven a Vitesse but my experience with British car heaters
has been that they develope warm air quite quickly - just not a lot of it.
I doubt that there is a plumbing modification that will improve things but
make sure that you have good coolant flow through the core.

Cheers

Dave