Vitesse heater

To: alinkens@nuera.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vitesse heater
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:06:17 EST
On  Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:43:14 -0000
"Linkens, Andy" <alinkens@nuera.com>
Wrote Subject: Vitesse heater

The heater is pretty poor on my Vitesse - taking a long time before any sort
of heat is produced from the air vent. I've installed a warmer thermostat
(which should help with the final temperature) but I was wondering why it
should take so long to warm up as the radiator is not in circuit initially?
What's the difference between these older cars and more modern cars (which
heat up v. quickly).
Is it possible to modify the "plumbing" so that the heater is much more
effective?
thanks
Andy

It's not necessarily the 'plumbing'

Most likely, the Smiths heater radiator is 'furred up' with lime from hard
water.
It would make an enormous difference having it recored, with say a modern hi
gh efficiency core.

Possibly, the heater valve on front of the heater requires cleaning out fro
much the same reason, you can make a new rubber washer for it by substituting
a small rubber bulkhead grommet.

Thirdly, the original heater fan has heavy metal blades, easily replaced with
a modern MGB (sorry) plastic bladed fan, they used what was basically the
same heater, and spin up much faster.

Lastly, you can convert to two speeds using parts from either a late Spitfire
or GT6-3 fan assembly.

Between that lot, you should keep toasty warm!

Good Luck

LC)on

1921 French Grand Prix driver: Albert Guyot, to Ernest Ballot ,
"Therebs only one winner in any race: the man who gets home first."

<A
HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/vitesse1963";>http://community.websho
ts.com/user/vitesse1963</A>

1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible (Diva)
1988 Volkswagen 1600GT Scirroco Coupe (Driver)
Wimbledon, London, England.