Re: Lightweight Flywheel

Subject: Re: Lightweight Flywheel
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:23:44 -0800
>We have seen a lot about lightweight flywheels for our TRs. What is a good
>weight to look for and where can you find them? Does anyone on the list
>have a recommendation for a lightened flywheel?

Kas Kastner's Competition Preparation Manual for TR250-TR6 recommends
removing 4 lbs from the original flywheel.  When I rebuilt my engine,
I had a machine shop do this work.  When working with the OEM
flywheel more is not necessarily better, as there is some risk of
removing too much material or from the wrong place, which may weaken
the flywheel to the extent that the flywheel may come apart at some
point.  In other words, I would not recommend lightening the stock
flywheel by any more than 4 pounds.  You can purchase aluminum
flywheels that are very, very light, however I think this would be
very impractical on a street TR6 and it probably would be rather
difficult to drive in the street environment.  Besides, the aluminum
flywheels are very, very expensive.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6