Re: Factory radios (up to 1972)

To: jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
Subject: Re: Factory radios (up to 1972)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 01:08:13 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 22-Jan-02 18:07:47 Eastern Standard Time,
jonmac@ndirect.co.uk writes:

> << snip >>Radiomobile units ex-factory were only found on Personal Export
> cars
> delivered for initial use in Europe before export to wherever. During
> the seaborne trip, radios were mostly stolen by longshoremen and
> relatively few made their way safely. FWIW, there was a general view
> that UK made sets for the US market were not as popular as US made
> alternatives as the waveband coverage was narrower. <<snip >>

Jonmac, interesting tidbit.  One point from me - when I ordered my car from
the Triumph distributor in NY for delivery in London, they warned me not to
get the radio.  Their comment was that when I shipped the car back to the US,
the radio would not make it.  I didn't order the radio so no problem - BUT I
forgot to remove the tool kit when I shipped the car a month later from
Bremerhaven, Germany.  As a result, no toolkit arrived in Bayonne, N.J.

After I picked up the car, I went to a local car radio shop and bought a
Bendix AM (switchable + or - ground) radio and had it installed.  Worked fine
for 27 years and I replaced it with a Panasonic AM/FM/Tape Stereo in '91.
However, I still have no factory tool kit. :-(.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner/"factory pickup")