Re: Auto MFG response to 9-11

To: BOB KRAMER <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Auto MFG response to 9-11
From: Robert Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 09:01:50 -0500
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
BOB KRAMER wrote:

>Sent: Friday, January 25, 2002 7:17 PM
>Subject: Fw: Something to remember
>

>Something to Remember
>
>CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and GM's>
>contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and Washington.
>
>The findings are as follows......
>1. Ford- $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee of the same
>number plus 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept. The company also offered ER
>response team services and office space to displaced government employees.
>
>2. GM- $1 million to American Red Cross matching employee contributions of
>the same number and a fleet of vans, suv's, and trucks.
>
>3. Daimler Chrysler- $10 million to support of the children and victims of
>the Sept. 11 attack.
>
>4. Harley Davidson motorcycles- $1 million and 30 new motorcycles to the New
>York Police Dept.
>
>5. Volkswagen- Employees and management created a Sept 11 Foundation, funded
>initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and victims of
>the WTC.
>
>6. Hyundai- $300,000 to the American Red Cross.
>
>7. Audi- Nothing.
>8. BMW- Nothing.
>9. Daewoo- Nothing.
>10. Fiat- Nothing.
>11. Honda- Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever in
>August 2001
>12. Isuzu- Nothing.
>13. Mitsubishi- Nothing.
>14. Nissan- Nothing.
>15. Porsche- Nothing. Press release with condolences via the Porsche
>website.
>16. Subaru- Nothing.
>17. Suzuki- Nothing.
>18. Toyota- Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and August 2001.
>Condolences posted on the website.
>
>Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease a new vehicle, keep
>this information in mind. You might want to give more consideration to a
>car.
>
>Apart from Hyundai and Volkswagen, the foreign car companies contributed
>nothing at all to the citizens of the United States. It's OK for these
>companies to take money out of this country, but it is apparently not
>acceptable to
>return some in a time of crisis. I believe we should not forget things like
>this. Say thank you in a way that gets their attention.  Pass it on."

Bob,

A BMW/Triumph motorcycle dealer in Schenectady, NY posted on their web
site that BMW (motorcycles) donated a bunch of new bikes shortly after
the attack. I cant remember the exact amount but I believe it was in the
neighborhood of about 20-30 bikes. The BMW is a expensive bike so that
donation might reach 250,000 to 300,000 $. I also think they donated
some $ to the NYPD/NYFD fund.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1974 T140V