Replacement fenders vs. Bodywork?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacement fenders vs. Bodywork?
From: Egbman1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 00:32:34 EST
I know there have been previous threads regarding this but, until I can get
to the archives... I've done some research and I can't seem to come up with a
consensus. My problem is I don't know if it would be better to bite the ($)
bullet and purchase the replacement front valance (DPO crash damage + lousy
bondo work) because a good grill will never fit right. As well as the front
fenders (there's supposed to be a splash panel in there? Really!) which have
started to rust through in the usual places. OR try to have these
repaired/restored OR scrounge some better used pieces. New panels even with
the Winter Sales look like they would run me about $2500 and I've read they
still may not fit right. I'm not a body/fender guy but I can bolt on wings
and panels. With the price of body work and restoration (cut out the old;
weld in the new) I wonder if it would just about be a toss up? I'm figuring
to do the rocker panels and floors myself. I'm not looking to win Pebble
Beach but I would like it to look "nice." Anyone BTDT with advice would be
appreciated.
Confused in California,
Earl