Re: TR6 with cracked rotor?

Subject: Re: TR6 with cracked rotor?
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:13:58 -0800
From: "Pete & Aprille Chadwell" <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2002 3:39 PM
Subject: TR6 with cracked rotor?

> Well, you guys may have really nailed it with the cap & rotor bit.  I
> pulled the rotor back off today and was inspecting it when I finally
> noticed a crack in the black plastic running from underneath the
> rotor's blade down to the base of the rotor.  Hmmm.  My new cap and
> rotor should be here tomorrow afternoon.  I guess I don't quite
> understand why it cracked.  I don't think of a rotor really being
> subjected to that much stress.
>
> Whaddya think?
>
> --
> Pete Chadwell
> 1973 TR6

I think we are all going to be really embarassed if you put the new cap and
rotor on and it still doesn't start.

I guess a small crack in the plastic can make a rotor inoperational if it is
providing a path of less resistance for the current to travel.  That is
through the crack to the distributor shaft compared to the gap it has to
cross to get to the contacts on the cap.  I have no idea why it cracked.

Bob