Re: TR6 Frame off

To: <Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Frame off
From: StanTR6@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:39:14 EST
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Greg,
Removing the budy from the tub isn't hard.  Assuming you were going to remove
doors, hoods, fenders, windshield, interior, etc. anyway as part of a
restoration, the budy tub itself is not heavy.  Do make sure all lines, cables,
wires, etc. are free - once you are certain you have them all, check again !!

In my case, it took four to lift it off, one at each fender, and three to put
it back, one at each front fender, on at the rear.  Two can carry it, the
difficulty is the size and lifting it over the engine.  The tub is held by
25(+/-) bolts.  Once they are out, rock it a little, lift the corners to break
bond between the rubber strips on the frame and the floor, any caulking that
may have adheared to the frame, etc., then lift.  Best to have a frame or dolly
ready to set it on.  Whatever you place the tub on, make sure it has wheels.  I
havent seen photos on the list - I'll send a photo of the frame I built to you
off-list.

Diff. supports - by all means !!  Roadster Factory has the gusset plates
needed, as well as the studs and replacements for the factory bracket (mine was
cracked, and the attempted weld repair was cracked).  Part of the beefing-up
includes a plate welded to the top of the cross member.  I guess the existing
support could be cut out and the plate welded in from below, then a new support
and new gussets welded back in; else, part of the raised floor behind the seats
could be cut out for access, and patched back in later.  Since I went with body
off, I had two gussets welded in each of the front mounts, and top plates
welded on top of all four studs.  Also, the gussets will result in a boxed in
area that could hold water (be difficult to get water up there, but...), so
drill a small drane hole.

Stan
1974 TR6 "kit"