O2 sensor Was: two questions

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: O2 sensor Was: two questions
From: aribert <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:35:12 -0500
I have installed an O2 sensor and meter in my Spit bodied GT6.  Install
the
sensor as close to the manifold or headers as possible.  Sensor needs
600
deg F exhaust temp to produce a signal.  Any single wire O2 sensor will
work.  An O2 sensor is basically a commodity item - variable is the
connector on the end.  I'm going to upgrade to a
three wire sensor this year (just put a new 3 wire O2 in my winter car,
old one
was still working) so that
I get a output signal at or near idle on my Triumph.  From memory the
output signal at
stoich. is 0.5v and the sensor provides a varying signal on either side
of
0.5 that the meter typically converts into a bar graph.

Meter typically costs about $30 from Jegs or J C Whitney (you can end up
paying much more and not get much more from other sources).  O2 sensor
bung
is either M18 or M18.5 thread (my memory is not clear) - e-mail me and I
can
look it up for you.  Bungs typically cost about $10 - I made my own for
the
cost of a tap (also about $10 - but now I still have the tap for future
use).

Meter requires: 12v supply, grnd, signal from sensor.  One wire sensor
requires one (signal) wire (couldn't resist).  Three wire sensor
requires
12v, grnd, signal.

Like most new technology on an old car an O2 sensor is overkill IMO but
it is
kind of neat to play with. In my case I have triple  Webers and a 6 into
1 header so I am unable to see what each carb is doing with respect to
the sensor.