Was Ram Air, Now Cold Air Induction

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <rorthen@earthsciences.net>, <LaJoMor@aol.com>
Subject: Was Ram Air, Now Cold Air Induction
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:27:23 -0700
>Not as original fitment...many have done it to their individual cars. Not
>sure when the dual-snout filter housing changed but later TR6s just had >a
rectangular hole cut into the filter housing..no snouts.

Check out page 59 Figure 3.1 of the TR250&6 Haynes manual and you'll see a
cold air induction set up.  Now I've never actually seen an original one and
have never talked to anyone that HAS seen one but they apparently existed
somewhere sometime.   I was never able to find the support panel shown
despite an exhaustive search and never found anyone that had even seen one
of those either.

I decided to try and duplicate this setup and used a couple of aluminum
flanges (part # 10350-7,  from Aircraft Spruce Specialty Company
(recommended by a lister).

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catmain.php?dest=cathome.php

It's a 1 3/4 inch aluminum flange ($6.40 each) which is the same (or close
to) size as the snouts on the air filter housing.  I cut a couple holes in
the shroud around the radiator, pop riveted the flanges to it and used some
carb duct hose (18 inches each) to connect to the snout on the air filter.
If you decide to do this little modification email me and I'll give you my
super secret on how to hold the duct hose to the snouts and flanges without
clamps, glue, or other bodges.  Some listers have already seen this high
tech solution at VTR ;)

I've used it for three years now and the carbs seem to like the cold air
from outside rather than the hotter air under the bonnet.   I think the air
filter housings with snouts were on the TR250s and the 69 TR6.

Bud Rolofson
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost Parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)