RE: Was Ram Air, Now Cold Air Induction

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Was Ram Air, Now Cold Air Induction
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:15:54 -0800
> Check out page 59 Figure 3.1 of the TR250&6 Haynes manual and you'll see a
> cold air induction set up.  Now I've never actually seen an
> original one and
> have never talked to anyone that HAS seen one but they apparently existed
> somewhere sometime.

I just checked a TR250 factory Spare Parts Catalog, and the fresh air setup
does not seem to be listed anywhere.  Since cold air is _not_ conducive to
low emissions (and only emission controlled cars had carburetors), my guess
would be that the Haynes is flat wrong.  Certainly wouldn't be the first
time ...

Might've been something the factory was planning to do, until they learned
of the impact on emissions.  Cold air does not vaporize fuel as well, and
blobs of fuel lead to high HC emissions.  Most US cars were deliberately
heating the intake air by the early 70's.

Randall