Idiot Chronicles, 2002 First Entry teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g0U4XZb27565

Subject: Idiot Chronicles, 2002 First Entry teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g0U4XZb27565
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:33:32 -0800
Who was it that said our mistakes are the only things we can TRULY
call our own?

As I recall some of the 'Idiot Chronicle' stories that have been
posted on this list in the past, I'm sure that my latest faux pas may
be fairly easy to beat as the new year wears on, but under the
circumstances it seems particularly deserving of 'Idiot Chronicle'
status nonetheless.

In my last post, I had just managed to start the TR6 after replacing
the cap and rotor, but was complaining about how poorly the car was
running.

Before I go much further, I must jump ahead and say that I've STILL
got some sort of fuel delivery problem or intermittent malfunction in
the XR700 module.  (with my luck, probably BOTH!)  I know this
because while I have completely restored the idle on the TR6, it will
only run for a few minutes before it starts to stammer and eventually
dies again.  The time interval may translate into the time it takes
to empty the float chambers, or the time it takes for heat to cause
the module to malfunction.  But I'll figure all that out in good
time
 let's get on to the good stuff!

To cut to the chase, I had the damned firing order screwed up!  What
a moron!  In my haste, although I THOUGHT I was being careful and
paying attention, I hooked the plug wires up with a firing order of
1-5-3-6-4-2 instead of 1-5-3-6-2-4!  Duuhhh!  That explains the
misfire!!  However, while correcting this did wonders for the idle,
it didn't help it run for any longer period of time.  It dies after
running initially for about 3 or 4 minutes.  It will not start
immediately afterward.  It will TRY to start, so there's some spark
happening somewhere, but it won't run.

Next step is to change the fuel filter (needs it, anyway) and then if
the problem remains, convert back to points once again.

Go easy on me!

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6