RE: Crankshaft end bolt removal

Subject: RE: Crankshaft end bolt removal
From: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 20:29:53 -0500
Thanks for all the advice. I figured out to put it in 4th and put the
parking brake on. Came back to my computer and had several suggestions to do
the same. Went back out and discovered that I did indeed have a socket big
enough for this bolt. Put a big bar on it and off it came!
I now have the cam out. Waiting for parts to arrive about Thursday, then off
to the machine shop. I got parts from British Parts Northwest. My first
dealings with them. Very nice guy and very informative. For example, he had
factory data on TR6 head heights for various compression ratios. 90 mm stock
7.75:1, 88 mm: 8.8:1, 86.4 mm 9.25:1. Measured mine with cheapo calipers. I
have the stock 90 mm.

I bought a Piper 270 cam, bronze guides, hardened seat inserts for the
exhaust, valves, double springs, lifters, and pushrods. Marvelous how this
adds up isn't it? Still trying to decide how much to mill the head, but will
probably be conservative and go for about 9:1.

Also, crankshaft end float looked excessive. I have a feeling I'll be into
the bottom end soon. I'll have to measure it somehow. I don't have a dial
indicator. Anybody know of a poor-man's way to measure this?

Thanks again,
Hugh