RE: Crankshaft end bolt removal

Subject: RE: Crankshaft end bolt removal
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 09:22:38 -0800
> Do it all and be done with it.  If you can't afford it now it can wait a
> couple of years but don't piecemeal it.

I have to say I disagree with Dave on this point.  Don't put off changing
the thrust washers, because you can't afford the rest of it.  Badly worn TW
can fall out in the TR6, which leads to almost instant damage to the crank
and block.  Even if you plan to do a full rebuild in a few years, new TW are
cheap insurance that your engine will live that long.

Rod bearings are of lesser importance, but still, if they are worn to the
copper backing (assuming you have tri-metal bearings in there), the copper
will wear the crank journals faster.  Underneath the copper is steel, and
you sure don't want that touching your crank.  Besides, worn bearings
increase the stress on the rods and crank, which can damage them.  Again,
even if you throw them away in a few years, bearing inserts are a lot
cheaper than rods, cranks, and blocks.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver - on about it's 5th "poor man's rebuild" since 1985 ...