RE: Steering box removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Steering box removal
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Roulleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:53:39 +0100
From:                   Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
To:                     triumphs@autox.team.net
Date sent:              Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:43:38 -0800
Send reply to:          Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>

Jean :

I'm honestly not sure I understand your question, but it is possible to
remove the split column box without either removing the front apron, or the
front crossmember, at least on a LHS car.  The trick is to take loose the
two pinch bolts that clamp the steering box itself into the bracket, then
remove the upper clamp that holds the tube, and undo the LH motor mount from
the frame.  Then use a jack or hoist (I used a floor jack) to lift and
rotate the motor to the right, so that there is room to pivot the tube
towards the engine and up between the engine and mounting ears on the frame.
Then finish prying the bracket out from between the frame ears, and lift the
assembly up and back at an angle.

AFAIK, all R&P conversions require welding new mounts to the frame.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV

Thanks Randall,Fred, Mike for your replies
The point is the box leaks badly from the rocker arm oil seal.It was
supposed to have been restored when I bought it.Unfortunately I
had too much trust and did not check it before mounting the front
apron. I unbolted the lower part of the steering assembly and tried
to remove it through the front apron,but here I'm stuck with the
bracket.As far as I could see the bracket can only be removed
when the drop arm is removed first.To lift the whole assembly
higher in order to clear the bottom of the apron I intended to remove
the cross bar, this would probably allow me to lift the complete
assembly high enough to clear the apron.I'm not sure, but will
consider any alternative  before removing the apron.
Anyhow I will consider all advises and have a close look at it next
week.
Thanks a lot
jean