RE: Steering box removal

To: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Roulleaux@skynet.be>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Steering box removal
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 11:01:45 -0800
> The point is the box leaks badly from the rocker arm oil seal.It was
> supposed to have been restored when I bought it.Unfortunately I
> had too much trust and did not check it before mounting the front
> apron.

Chances are the leak is because the rocker shaft bushing is worn.  If they
only changed the seal, it may be that the box would not have leaked before
being used.  Also check the sealing surface of the rocker shaft carefully.
The slightest groove where the seal rides may cause a leak.  I was able to
rub the groove out of mine using some fine emery cloth, but if it's big
enough to easily catch a fingernail in, you might want to look for a
replacement shaft.

> I unbolted the lower part of the steering assembly and tried
> to remove it through the front apron,but here I'm stuck with the
> bracket.As far as I could see the bracket can only be removed
> when the drop arm is removed first.

In case I was unclear before, the bracket only needs to be loosened to let
the box turn a bit in the bracket.  It definitely cannot come off until the
arm is removed, which is a job for later, so the bracket comes out with the
box.

> To lift the whole assembly
> higher in order to clear the bottom of the apron I intended to remove
> the cross bar, this would probably allow me to lift the complete
> assembly high enough to clear the apron.I'm not sure, but will
> consider any alternative  before removing the apron.

After moving the engine out of the way, I lifted the box and column out to
the top and rear, basically following the original line of the steering
column.  The LH horn had to come out, but the crossmember did not.

> Anyhow I will consider all advises and have a close look at it next
> week.

Good luck !
Randall Young
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV
et al