Tranny out, what to check?

To: tr list list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tranny out, what to check?
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:15:25 -0700
Since I have the transmission out for my engine rebuild (non-OD), is there
anything I should be checking on it?  It didn't appear to have any problems,
but I'd rather launch a pre-emptive strike than pull it again.  I did notice
that I'm able to wiggle the input shaft from side to side a bit (not much,
but certainly noticeable), is that normal?  It also tends to pop out of gear
(2nd for sure, maybe 3rd) on heavy deceleration.

Also, is there any magic solution that will clean up aluminum?  There used
to be a product called "Aluminum Jelly" (same folks as "Naval Jelly"), but I
can't find in anymore.  I'm not looking to polish it, just to get closer to
the fresh-cast look.

Thanks!
-Darrell

--