RE: Tranny out, what to check?

To: "tr list list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tranny out, what to check?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 19:32:33 -0700
> Assuming I have it overhauled, is this something I can just farm out to
> "Fairly Reliable Bob's Tranny Repair Emporium", or are there
> special tricks
> you need to know on the TR transmission?  I don't really want to dig into
> this myself, since I have enough other stuff going on with the engine
> rebuild.

IMO you should find someone reasonably experienced with the TR box, or do it
yourself.  The work is not difficult or mysterious, well within the
capabilities of the amateur and fairly well described in the manual.  Still,
you don't just buy new parts and throw them together, there are measurements
to be made and shims to be adjusted, that are apt to be ignored by the
gorillas at Jim Bob's Tranny Repair and Screen Door Emporium.  Ask around
your local club for recommendations.

> > Don't forget the seals on the shifter shafts, they are frequently
> > overlooked.
>
> Do you mean the O-rings?

Yes.  According to Herman van den Akker, the O-rings sold today do not fit
correctly and still leak.  He makes up a filler ring to go behind them.

Randall