Re: Tranny out, what to check?

To: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>, tr list list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tranny out, what to check?
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:06:17 -0500
At 04:15 PM 6/11/02 -0700, Darrell Walker wrote:
>Since I have the transmission out for my engine rebuild (non-OD), is there
>anything I should be checking on it?  It didn't appear to have any problems,
>but I'd rather launch a pre-emptive strike than pull it again.  I did notice
>that I'm able to wiggle the input shaft from side to side a bit (not much,
>but certainly noticeable), is that normal?  It also tends to pop out of gear
>(2nd for sure, maybe 3rd) on heavy deceleration.
>
>Also, is there any magic solution that will clean up aluminum?  There used
>to be a product called "Aluminum Jelly" (same folks as "Naval Jelly"), but I
>can't find in anymore.  I'm not looking to polish it, just to get closer to
>the fresh-cast look.
>
>Thanks!
>-Darrell
>
>--
>Darrell Walker
>66 TR4A IRS

To determine if the trans is slipping out of gear because the bushing
endplay is too much or the top hat bushing is broken, do the following:

Place the trans in third gear.
Remove the top of the trans (you'll have to buy a new gasket but they are
cheap)
grasp the input shaft in one hand and the universal flange with the other hand
counter-rotate the two against each other, like you're wringing out a towel
If the gears move fore and aft more than a few thousandths, the top hat
bushing should be replaced and the bushing endplay adjusted. otherwise the
condition of slipping out of gear will continue to worsen.