Re: TR4 ADDCO front bar install?

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 ADDCO front bar install?
From: "Bob Westerdale" <Bob.Westerdale@ametek.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:34:35 -0400 |January 7, 2002) at 06/13/2002 09:34:37 AM, Serialize complete at 06/13/2002 09:34:37 AM
Cc: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Phil-
         I noticed the same deficiency ( uh, feature?) on my 3A.   I made
up a set of mounting plates, essentially 1/4" aluminum, about 8" long and
about 2.5" high with holes drilled to pick up the bolts that secure the
bumper brackets to the frame.   These nestle against the sides of the
frame rail,  and use  slightly longer versions of the  original bolts to
hold both the bumper brackets and sway bar mounting plates in the original
bumper bracket mounting holes..   On the forward edge of the plates, I
bolted a 90 degree mounting plate- essentially a piece of robust, 2" angle
 stock-  which was also drilled for placement of the swaybar bushing
brackets.   There's a little fiddling, to be sure,  but  the sway bar is
now firmly attached, and no longer loosens up and makes my bumper wiggle-
which may occur with the original mounting arrangement.  If you use a
larger diameter bar, the original design becomes even more problematic.
The installation now looks good and works well,  although the Originality
Police  would certainly be inclined to object.

Good Luck,
        Bob Westerdale
        59 3A  TS 36967

"Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>