RE: Subject: Female LBC owners, was: RE: Hello from a new list member!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Subject: Female LBC owners, was: RE: Hello from a new list member!
From: AKATR5@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 01:30:55 EDT
are on this list??  I'm curious, because I've already experienced several
sort-of discriminatory comments, being a woman and owning a "collector
car".  I've had several people say things like "Oh, your husband bought
himself a toy, eh?" as they walk by my garage.  I don't HAVE a husband, so
that would be tough.  The guy I bought it from asked me if I knew how to
drive it.  My knee-jerk response was to throw my hands up into the air, and
in a high pitched sarcastic squealy voice say "Oh no, I'm a GIRL, I don't
know how to drive a stick, can you teach me?" but I managed to keep my
mouth shut.

I've also noticed that auto parts stores are weird about women...they
either fall all over themselves to help me in a completely patronizing way,
or they ignore me completely, like I must have wandered in by mistake on my
way to shop for drapes.

I'm a woman who has never restricted myself to "typical gender roles" so I
suppose I should be used to this kind of thing by now, but it still bugs me
a bit.  Ladies, have any of you had similar experiences?

- -Chrissy, apparently a bit grumpy this morning  :-)  <<<<<

- --
Chrissy,
Yes, I have had several of the experiences that you have described but don't
let it get you down.  If I had a dollar for every time I have been asked "Now
honey, are you sure that is the part you need for your car?" I would be a
rich woman today.  I have had my TR250 for over 17 years now and I do all the
work on it myself.  I have been very lucky to have been trained by some
really great Triumph mechanics over the years.  I am a past president and
current vice president of the Southern California Triumph Owners Association.
 There ARE other female Triumph owners out there so don't give up.  Triumphs
are great cars and I think you will eventually find that there are many great
Triumph owners out there (including here on this list).  Be sure to attend
Triumphest 2002 which is in Laughlin, NV this year and you will get to meet
me and several other female Triumph owners (all single, male Triumph owners
are also invited to attend <g> LOL).
TRsRock,
Jan Dawson
1968 TR250