Re: TR4 Technical Advice Needed

To: Terry.Hickey@team.telstra.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Technical Advice Needed
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:42:23 +1000 FILETIME=[BD0A6210:01C21D62]
Terry Hickey wrote:

>Hi to all on the list
>
>I have a TR4 which I purchased mid restoration, in a dismantled state and
>missing its 'a' type O/D gearbox. I have not been able to find a suitable
>replacement TR4 gearbox locally and to import one from UK or USA would be
>prohibitively expensive. However I have a 2500 saloon  'a' type O/D gearbox
>which I have been told can be adapted to fit.

FWIW A Mk1 saloon will have a 'A' type overdrive gearbox whilst the Mk11
2500TC and 2500S will have a 'J' type overdrive.  The 'A' Type in the Mk1
saloon has some differences to the TR4 version, I can't remember exactly
what they are but they are likley to also be the input shaft size and
different mountings. So, overall, you probably won't have that much more
trouble with adapting a Mk11 Saloon J Type than you would with a Mk1 A Type.

Also A Type parts are getting harder and harder to get so if you can adapt
the J type you will be better served parts-wise afterwards, just buy up any
Mk11 o/d parts cars that come up for sale ;-)

Cheers,
Michael
63' TR4
69 2000 (Mk1)