RE: brakes

To: "Richard Riddick" <sonex188@epictn.com>, "tr3" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: brakes
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 15:44:15 -0700
>       Next task. DPO said that it would not stop on a dime but more like a
> quarter. While making sure that the studs and nuts were right for the wire
> wheels(they weren't), I tried asjusting the rear brakes. Previous
> posts had
> me worried about being able to move the adjuster. Wrong! The one I tried
> moved so easily that I don't think it would stay adjusted. If I knew the
> correct size and thread nut, I would try a lock nut. Any
> suggestions. Thanks

If you can't feel a definite notch as you turn the adjuster, then there is
something wrong internally.  My guess would be that the adjuster pistons are
stuck in their bores, but it might also be that the return spring is broken.

The inside end of the adjuster screw on a TR3A is a cone shaped piece that
the pistons ride on.  It has flats on it that the pistons fall into, under
the force of the return spring.

Randall