RE: tr6 fan extension bolt

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: tr6 fan extension bolt
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:57:58 -0700
Chris Kantarjiev wrote :

> On the 4A, I just removed the extension completely and put a normal
> washer under the head.

It does seem to vary from engine to engine, so ... check to be sure that the
washer is pulling down against the pulley/hub/damper, and not against the
end of the crank.

On the engine currently in my 3A (which came from a very early TR3), the hub
seemed tight, but the washer was bottomed mostly against the crank nose.  As
a result, the hub was able to work against the crank, and over a period of
time wore it undersize.  D'oh!

There are actually shims that affect this, between the timing sprocket and
the front main journal, so it really can vary from engine to engine.  My
previous TR3A motor worked just fine with the flat washer.

Randall