Re: Ring gear

To: <clancy36@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Ring gear
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 09:35:32 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dan Clancy wrote:
the ring gear has slipped back on my flywheel about
3/16" had to push start the six  this morning to get to
work.i figured the ring gear or starter drive was toast,
put it up on lift tonight pulled the starter took a peak
and discoverd it had slipped back. tried a quick pry
then a mini c-clamp didn't look promising.am i getting
up early tommorrow to yank my engine or has someone been
down this road and has a trick.

Just been down that same road, Dan - with a 2000. Same prob, common fault.
Don't know if other listers have had the same but I eventually decided a pry
bar or clamp was likely to damage flywheel or engine backplate - and that
ring gear was still tight. Took the bit between my teeth, hauled out the
gearbox and did it properly. New ring gear now shrunk on and it seemed
sensible to replace the original clutch at the same time.

Jonmac