Lost VIN / Commission Number

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lost VIN / Commission Number
From: Chad Jester <triumph74tr6@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 08:49:47 -0800 (PST)
List,

I'm purchasing a car (TR250) out of Indiana.  It does not have its original
commission number (CD####L).  It has what appears to be a state issued ID
number.  The original Com. Number plate is gone, and a stamped metal plate is
attached in its place.  The number on this plate matches the number on the
title, and it states it is a '68 Triumph TR250 2dr convt.

Question is:  How can I get the original Com number back on the car?  The motor
is original.  I don't have the number handy, but it does correspond to a 250.
Is the original number hidden anywhere on the frame or body?  I will probably
try to get something from BMIHT based on the engine number.

Anyone who can offer some insight / experience with this would be much
appreciated!

Chad