RE: TR6 Brake Master Cylinder

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 Brake Master Cylinder
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:02:33 +0000
> > My 74 TR6 brakes continue to be spongy after bleeding the system and
>> checking for leaks.  I still have good stopping power, but at a stop
> > light, I can feel the pedal continue to go down slowly.  I have not yet
> > pulled the m/c to examine it.

If you're still struggling with bad brakes after doing the obvious (master
cylinder, slave cylinders, calipers, discs, pads) then have a very close look
at the run-out of the disc

Some cars develop a lot of disc runout (wobble at the edge) and it plays hell
with the brakes as the calipers don't float. This means the disc pushes the
piston in and out as the disc rotates - until you get enough pedal pressure to
suddenly lock that wheel, whereupon the car slides...

If you do have visible or measureable runout, check the hub face and see if
that's running true. True hubs + disc runout = warped discs. Hub runout + disc
runout = bent hub (and maybe bent discs as well)

BTW a bent stub axle won't cause runout, but a bent hub will - and will cause
you to have truly scary brakes. Prime candidate to cause bent hubs is smacking
a kerb very hard

The condition & quality of the rear shoes and handbrake adjustment also play a
big part in determining how good (or bad) the brakes are

I suffered for some time with my TR4 (I had a bent hub) but now it's sorted the
brakes are surprisingly good - even on a racetrack

I recommend the Hawk metallic pads. We get them on import in the UK but many
people on the list can get them direct from the manufacturers in the USA

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk