RE: TR6 Brake Master Cylinder

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Brake Master Cylinder
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:10:20 -0800
> My 74 TR6 brakes continue to be spongy after bleeding the system and
> checking for leaks.  I still have good stopping power, but at a stop
> light, I can feel the pedal continue to go down slowly.  I have not yet
> pulled the m/c to examine it.
>
> So, I'm guessing my m/c is about shot.

Yup.

> Are the rebuild kits ($25) from the big three any good, or should I do
> an exchange with someone like Apple Hydraulics ($125) , or should I send
> mine somewhere to be resleved ($60), or should I buy the brand new on
> Ebay for $155?

Depends on what condition your existing MC is in.  Odds are good that just a
rebuild kit will fix the problem for another 20 years or so.  However, if
the bore in the MC is pitted or worn, the life of the seals will be greatly
reduced.

A word of warning : the brakes on my Stag were in the same condition when I
got it, the pedal would slowly sink to the floor at stop lights.  While
waiting for the seal kit to come in, I tried to drive the car to a shop to
have the transmission changed out.  On the way, the hydraulics failed
completely !  Later examination showed that both cups had torn through the
base, apparently simultaneously.  (Or perhaps the rear brakes had already
failed, since the PDWA isn't hooked up.)

I don't see any reason a resleeved MC wouldn't be just as good or better
than a new one (as long as the work was done correctly), but haven't tried
it myself.

Randall