RE: TR6 Pressure Plate

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 Pressure Plate
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 16:41:34 -0800
> I have just re-read the VTR Magazine article about Borg & Beck
> Pressure Plates for the TR6, this is the pressure plate I need for
> the HVDA Toyota 5 Speed Conversion.
> It states that the spring  pressure is too high and causes problems.
> Has this been Fixed?
> Is it a "real" problem?

Bill, I can't comment on how it applies to the TR6, although Nelson Riedel's
(et al) research certainly indicates there is a real difference.

There are two aspects to the problem, one is the loss of effective travel
caused by the increased pressure.  This one you'll have to talk to Herman
about, since you will be using a different slave cylinder and linkage, which
will change the effective ratio.

The other is the increased force against the thrust bearings when the clutch
is depressed.  I don't have any hard data to prove it, but I don't believe
this will be a problem with the "tractor engine", as it has twice the thrust
area of the TR6 and no history of thrust washer problems.  They're easy
enough to change anyway, just drop the pan with the engine still in the car.
Haynes recommends dropping the pan to change the rod bearings every 30k
miles anyway (a sentiment I'm inclined to agree with).

Randall