RE: Lubricants & Adhesives - UK vs US Equivalents

To: "Triumphs Email List \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lubricants & Adhesives - UK vs US Equivalents
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 14:15:33 -0800
> When looking through manuals on our LBC's, it's extremely common to find
> mention of a particular brand of some lubricant or adhesive that
> I've never
> heard of here in the United States. "Hylomar" and "Wellseal" are but two
> examples. In the last few years I've become familiar with names such as
> Permatex and Sta-Lube, and all the varieties of these brands.  But, when
> the  manual calls out for Hylomar blue sealant, what do I use?  For the
> most part I've "guessed" pretty good lately, but I'd really like to know
> for sure.

Hylomar HPF is readily available in the US (Pep Boys, Kragen, Autozone all
have it on the west coast for example), and I don't know of anything that is
quite like it.  HPF isn't quite the same as the original Hylomar, but is a
reasonable facsimile.  (The original used a solvent that is now illegal in
many areas.)

Genuine Wellseal is available from TRF, but I haven't opened my tube of it
yet to see what it's like.

Randall