Re: GT6 (+Spitfire) 5-speed

To: William Davies <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Subject: Re: GT6 (+Spitfire) 5-speed
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 17:15:36 -0700
Cc: Cwn74@aol.com, sdkandlsk1@juno.com, john@quantumechanics.com, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Bill,
You are probably right but I know that the GT6 3-rail sits in the same
saddle as the MkIV 3 rail.  Perhaps the difference in the length is
comparing the 3-rail gt6 gearbox to a single rail Spit Box.  I think the
3-rail is a bit longer (don't know how much) and the GT6 never had a
single rail.

But looking at your reply, you say that the spit gearbox in question is
Mk1-IV.  That would certainly eliminate the single rail, but brings up
the question of the difference in the Mk1-3 and the later MkIV 3-rail
box.  The earlier ones with no synchro in first gear is shorter than the
MkIV full synchro 3-speed, so how could they all take the same length
drive shaft?

Cheers,
Joe