OT - automotive engine related

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT - automotive engine related
From: aribert <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:46:04 -0500
Yesterday afternoon,  I replaced the timing belt and cam in my
winter car (92 Isuzu Amigo, same as Opel/Vauxhall/Holden Frontera to
those of you on the other side of the big ponds but with an Isuzu
engine).  The timing belt as preventative maintenance since is is 10
years old and the cam in order to pick up a bit grunt in the lower rpms
(this is a 2.3L 4 cyl pushing a 2 ton 4wd - I don't expect much
improvement but every little bit helps).

I was unable to break the bolt loose on the crank so I resorted to the
old rope in a cylinder trick.  I was unable to budge the bolt with my 18
in. breaker bar so I got a short cheater pipe (about 10 in. extra
leverage).  Still did not budge so I got a longer cheater pipe - now my
breaker bar was effectively about 3 ft long - and it still took a lot of
force to break it loose.  Anyone ever do any damage (bent valve?) by
doing this?  After I had the cam and timing belt in place (but before I
attached the belts for the alt and PS and before I reinstalled the valve
cover I fired up the engine and noticed a very distinct whirring noise.
I did not think much of it - assuming that the whirring noise was from
the open engine and that the noise would be masked when the valve cover
was installed.  I proceeded to complete the reassembly before I fired it
up and the same whirring noise is present.  I am stumped and will be
dismantling things this evening to try and find the noise source.
Any suggestions gladly accepted.  Back off to digest mode.