re: TR6 Insulating the Transmission Cover

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: TR6 Insulating the Transmission Cover
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:43:21 EST
Trevor,
Regarding tranny insulation a couple of points; It gets pretty hot under the
tranny cover so I would recommend very secure attachments - perhaps
strategically located stubby wood screws into the cardboard cover to
supplement adhesives if used. And not to obstruct airflow around the tranny
as it needs to dissapate the heat. Plus a little extra care near those hot
exhaust pipes.
After my first fiasco - stuffing rug padding around the tranny and having it
burst in flames a few months later (what was I thinking!?!) I fitted some
'hallway runner' rubber, cut to mirror the underside of the new tranny cover
and used wood screws and washers to fasten. Some places get pretty tight so
may need to leave insulation voids near stick shift and u-joint area. The
very tips of the wood screws I used just barley pierce through the cardboard
cover but of course the thick rug padding and rug make it a non-issue (for me
anyway). It cuts the noise and heat transfer well, keeps oil mist from
saturating the cardboard, and mine is still perfectly in place since 1976.
I just may spring for the official space-age insulation next time around but
it's probably ten times the cost of rubber hallway runner..
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74