Sound Deadening - What works? What Doesn't?

To: "Triumphs Email List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sound Deadening - What works? What Doesn't?
From: john & patricia donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:44:25 -0800
There seems to be few emails recently that discussed quieting down our
Triumphs. Transmission tunnel insulation was the most recent.  I've been
interested in quieting down my TR but really wasn't sure  1) what really
worked?, and 2) was it worth the expense/effort?

What are the most common products used?

I've seen bonnet insulators sold through the big three for almost $100.
That's pretty pricey. Do they work? Alternatives?

IMHO, it makes more sense to insulate on the outside rather than the inside
of the passenger compartment? If true, what have listers done to insulate
the floor boards?

There are big voids behind the kickpanels, in the doors, and between the
trunk and the interior that I'm sure generate substantial echo. How do you
insulate these?

This can't be a new topic. Is there any web sites or other internet sources
that might help?

Maybe using insulation won't make my car totally quiet inside like a new
Beemer, but it would be nice to be able to talk to the person next to me
without having to scream all the time. I'll be glad to consolidate your
answers and forward later.

Thanks
John in San Diego
'67 TR4A