Re: Sound Deadening - What works? What Doesn't?

To: john & patricia donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>, "Triumphs Email List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sound Deadening - What works? What Doesn't?
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:11:21 -0500
With my Herald, I liberally salted with Dynamat Sound Proofing Pads, which I
purchased at the local auto paint supply house for $20./pack of 6. These are
placed as follows-
Doors- 2 each side, 1 forward of skin strengthener, 1 behind, mounted(self
adhered) to the outer door skin.
Rear Wings-(All mounted to outer skin) 1 behind rear seat side panel, 1 at
rear section behind fuel tank, 1 (halved) above wheel well. This was on both
sides of car
Boot- (Not Dynamat) The interior kit came with boot floor insulation kit,
same type material as Dynamat, but large sheet(2 sections) cut to fit around
spare tyre well, on flat floor of boot.
Floor under rear seat- 3 pieces Dynamat, center one over-lapping outer ones.
As was originally insulated.
Floor- Rear Footwells- 1 piece each side, fitted one on driveshaft tunnel. 1
piece each side under seats, and, again, 1 fitted on driveshaft tunnel,
around brake handle mounting. Front footwells- 1 each side.

This arrangement has made for a pretty quiet car, with the hood down. I am
planning to add the other type insulation to the underside of the
transmission tunnel, but haven't bothered yet. The firewall is covered with
a closed cell foam set of pieces which also came with the interior kit. They
were precut to fit, and only required a little persuasion.

I saw no reason to insulate the bonnet. I did make sure I had good bonnet
strike cones in place(Neat trick- a little adjustment to them, and the
bonnet lined right up! All this after fiddling around with the other
adjustment points for literally hours to no avail!) These rubber cones take
out a great deal of rattle, if installed properly.

Frame mounts were also replaced, in the interest of silence.

Scott