Re: TR4 speedo: de-jumpification

To: steven@newellboys.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 speedo: de-jumpification
From: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:20:02 EST
In a message dated 11/12/2002 10:07:42 AM Mountain Standard Time,
steven@newellboys.com writes:

<<
 On the drive up to Morrison to pick up a permit to cut
 a Christmas tree from the national forest, for some
 reason I decided to troubleshoot the speedo as I went.
 As I slowly unscrewed the speedo cable, it slowly
 reduced it's jumping. I stopped unscrewing when it
 stopped jumping -- though it still reads 10% high. I'm
 sure completely unscrewing the cable would eliminate
 any high reading too. <g>

 I think this means the cable is a slight bit too long? Or
 that I shouldn't tighten the speedo cable all the way?

Steve;
I had a conversation with Margaret Lucas of MOMA instruments recently about
this subject.  She adamantly states that many reproduction cables are too
long and are damaging speedometers.  She told me the critical measurement
that the inner drive cable can protrude from sheath.  Of course I forgot it
:)  I'll try to call her later, but If I were you I'd simply start shortening
the inner drive cable a millimeter or so at a time til the wild and crazy
thing stops.
Bob Paul