RE: brake rotor/drum wear on TR6

To: "Dave Shook" <fine@telusplanet.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: brake rotor/drum wear on TR6
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 02:28:33 -0800
> What are the specs for brake rotor and drum wear on a TR6 - how
> thin can they
> get before they have to be replaced? The car I have just started on has
> surprisingly smooth-looking drums and rotors. At first glance they look
> usable.
> I thought the Bentley book would tell me, but I can't find it. Maybe I'm
> looking in the wrong places.
> Is there another book that has this kind of information in it?

Dave, I never did see a reply to this, so I looked it up.  My Chiltons gives
.460" as the minimum thickness for the rotors.  However, the Haynes says
.060" wear is permissible (and we decided the original thickness was .500"
in a long ago thread).  I guess you can take your pick.  I've seen people
drive with rotors much thinner than that, with no apparent problem (not that
I'm recommending such a thing, just observing).

I've got an original Stanpart TR6 drum that says max dia 9.040"

Randall