Re: (no subject)

To: Ct54531@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: (no subject)
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:33:43 -0500
> Is teflon tape incompatible with gasoline? The connection leading into the
> fuel pump on my 65 4A has started to seep gasoline out of it. Not a drip
but
> rather a leeching effect. If you wipe off the top of the cover on the
bowl,
> you notice a slow darkening of the metal which spreads and then pools on
top
> of the cover of the pump body itself. Can I make at least an interim
repair
> by simply wrapping the threads of the connection with teflon tape? Will
the
> gas eat it?
> Thanks.

Teflon tape is pretty well impervious to gasoline- I use it on all fuel and
oil related lines with no problem (NEVER- under ANY circumstances should it
be used for BRAKE LINES)  Teflon tape should seal your problem if it is a
thread issue- however, from what you describe, you may wish to pull the line
and check the flare on the end- It could have vibration/age damage issues,
causing it to leak along the seam of the pipe. It could also be the gasket
on the cover needs attention. PS- Disconnect the battery ground before
working on this- If the engine is badly grounded, you could be working with
a wrench, tap the clutch line, spark ( because the engine is grounding
through the clutch line), and ignite the gasoline, causing a nice little
fire... Ask me how I know... ;)

Scott