TR6: OK, Now I've Done It

To: "M. Secrest" <vze34wdb@verizon.net>
Subject: TR6: OK, Now I've Done It
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 08:36:05 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gAIDf8pE021002
Message text written by "M. Secrest"
>I can't remember the last time I stripped a bolt or nut, and now I've
stripped two stud holes in quick succession.  It happened during the
reassembly of my half-shaft u-j renewal project.

I've stripped out the two of the threaded holes for the studs that hold
the half-shaft/bearing assembly to the housing behind the brake pads.
(There are six studs in total here.) I don't know what to call this part
of the car, but you get the idea.

I suspect this part of the car is aluminum, no?
<

Aluminum, yes!  And the studs are 5/16-24.  Only the british would put fine
threads in aluminum.  (Not true!  We buy American made electric motors with
fine thread holes tapped into aluminum)  But these are vulnerable bits and
I've stripped some out, myself.

As Randall suggested, Helicoil (R) can restore these holes to usable again.
 Also, I've heard, but have not seen, studs that are 5/16 on one end and
3/8 on the other.  If you can score some of these you can drill and tap for
3/8 and your back on the road.

Good luck

Dave