Re: TR6: OK, Now I've Done It

To: vze34wdb@verizon.net, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6: OK, Now I've Done It
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:07:09 -0700
Martin, yes the trailing arm is aluminum.  Dont feel bad, I discovered a
stripped one when I took mine apart.  After I fixed it, I later discovered some
of the others wouldnt take the torque either and eventually stripped. You can
replace yours with a heli-coil for your 5/16 stud.  You will need the right
drill, tap, tap handle, alcohol (coolant), and an insertion tool.  I believe I
used a bottoming tap (threads down to the bottom of the tap).  Apply alcohol as
a coolant during tapping.  Once the coil is in, be sure to break the tang off.

If you have the trailing arm off the car, consider heli-coiling all the holes.
My hardware store sold the coils in a box of 12, exactly the number required
for both arms.  The heli-coils offer a stronger interface since the heli-coil
diameter is larger than the original stud.  But its probably best to do this
with a drill press to get all the holes straight, and also be careful to
maintain alignment during tapping.  When its done, you should increase the nut
torque by about 10%, again due to larger effective diameter.

John

Martin wrote:>

I've stripped out the two of the threaded holes for the studs that hold
the half-shaft/bearing assembly to the housing behind the brake pads.
(There are six studs in total here.) I don't know what to call this part
of the car, but you get the idea.

I suspect this part of the car is aluminum, no?