RE: Valve replacement

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Valve replacement
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:03:20 -0800
John, opinions will vary of course, but mine is that if things are in good
shape, they're best left alone.  Today's replacement parts are frequently
dodgy quality it seems, and the old parts have been tested !

That said, most likely you will find that the exhaust valves and seats need
to be refaced.  If the exhaust seats have to be done, I would probably have
them replaced with hardened ones.  The valves can be reused as long as the
grinding doesn't create a knife edge.

If you do wind up replacing the exhaust valves, I would convert to the 4A
valves, even for an otherwise stock motor.  IMO they are less apt to burn.
Even though I'm pretty sure the original reason for the thicker stem on the
TR2/3 was to cool the valve head better, I think it's counter productive.
It's much easier to have valve float with the heavier valve, and valve float
is the main reason they burn.  YMMV of course.

Randall