Re: The Impossible Dream?

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Impossible Dream?
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:01:45 -0500
At 7:24 PM +0000 11/19/02, Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
>*Is* there any spray-on/wipe-off product that dissolves rust on contact,
>but doesn't affect steel?  If not, are there any ChemEng graduates out
>there who could formulate one for me? <g>

Iron oxide (rust) is like any other metal oxide. It is usually the most
stable form of any metal and, since the atmosphere is about 20% oxygen, it
forms easily. (Metal nitrides form at higher temperatures and are also
stable.) Most mineral acids will remove rust quite nicely, but the oxide
will form again unless the bare metal is protected with oil or paint.
Phosphoric acid is the first choice for this, but hydrochloric works,too.
Paint shops sell hydrochloric labeled as muriatic acid, used to etch
masonry before painting. Phosphoric acid can be found as a paint prep. or
sold under the trade name "Naval Jelly" here in the States.

There are some paints and coatings that complex and neutralize the rust,
preventing the spread of it. Loctite sells a material called "Extend" which
is very effective. I think POR15 does this, too.

I'm not a scientist, but I work with them all day.

Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (25 year owner)