Re: The Impossible Dream?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Impossible Dream?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 07:17:50 +0000
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, at around 16:01:45 local time, Philip E. Barnes
<peb3@cornell.edu> wrote:
>At 7:24 PM +0000 11/19/02, Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
>>*Is* there any spray-on/wipe-off product that dissolves rust on contact,
>>but doesn't affect steel?  If not, are there any ChemEng graduates out
>>there who could formulate one for me? <g>
>
>Iron oxide (rust) is like any other metal oxide. It is usually the most
>stable form of any metal and, since the atmosphere is about 20% oxygen, it
>forms easily. (Metal nitrides form at higher temperatures and are also
>stable.) Most mineral acids will remove rust quite nicely, but the oxide
>will form again unless the bare metal is protected with oil or paint.
>Phosphoric acid is the first choice for this, but hydrochloric works,too.
>Paint shops sell hydrochloric labeled as muriatic acid, used to etch
>masonry before painting. Phosphoric acid can be found as a paint prep. or
>sold under the trade name "Naval Jelly" here in the States.

Thanks very much indeed.   Do these acids not react with the steel as
well?

>There are some paints and coatings that complex and neutralize the rust,
>preventing the spread of it. Loctite sells a material called "Extend" which
>is very effective. I think POR15 does this, too.

Yes, I have come across these, and they are very useful for areas which
are out of sight; less so for external bodywork, as they tend to leave a
rough surface that has to be sanded or ground down.

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671