Re: GT6/TR7 transmission

To: 105671.471@compuserve.com (Dave Massey), Triumphs@autox.team.net (TR List), TR8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (TR8 List)
Subject: Re: GT6/TR7 transmission
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:47:16 -0500
In a message dated 11/20/2002 9:22:23 AM Eastern Standard Time, Dave Massey
<105671.471@compuserve.com> writes:

>Fellows,
>A friend who is racing a Spitfire is looking for a GT6 box for his car.  I
>seem to recall a comment that the four speed TR7 box is the same box as the
>GT6 box.  Is this the case or am I remembering wrong?

They're close, Dave. The TR7 ratios are basically identical to that of the GT6.
However, GT6s all used the "three-rail" gearbox, while the TR7 used the
"Marina" or "single-rail" gearbox (as did the 1975 and later Spitfires, albeit
with different ratios).

Someone else is going to have to enlighten you (and me) on input shaft lengths,
diameters and number of splines as well as interchangeability of bellhousings
to suit Spitfire (LH side starter) v. GT6 (RH side starter) and other details.

--Andy Mace