Re: Exhaust Leaks

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Exhaust Leaks
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:02:31 -0800 (PST)
Cc: technical@iwnet.screaming.net
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>

Hi Scott
Which part is it you are having trouble with and on which car?

The car in question is my 1963 TR4.

Currently it has a sort of mish mash of Exhaust components:

It is almost the TR4A solid axle style of exhaust from the manifold to the twin
rear mufflers.

Except that instead of the "front" muffler, I have a stainless "y" connector to
bring the streams together  before splitting them again at the rear mufflers.
This is from the TR4A single muffler system.

I really love the looks of the twin 4A mufflers.
I wish they sounded like ANSA's though.

IN the mean time .. I have leaks at just about every joint downstream of the
downpipes.

Perhaps I'll pull it apart and put some of this "jointing compound" on there.

I was wondering if there wasn't some sort of band clamp that could span the
joint on both pipes.  (Think of a piston ring compressor) Then perhaps a high
temp (silicone foam?) o-ring cord to seal the clamp to both pipes on the ends.

Talk about a pipe dream.

(no flames for the bad pun please)

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 everyday
Leesburrrr,brrrrrrr,brrrrrg,ahhh  Virginia