RE: Positive to Negative ground Conversion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Positive to Negative ground Conversion
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:44:35 -0800
> I am starting the process of getting my TR-3B that I drove in the garage
> 20 years ago running again. I have read several different posting in
> various places on converting from positive to negative ground, but none
> of them make any mention of the starter motor. I assume that there must
> be some change required, as the electron holes will be running in the
> oppisite direction once you change the ground.

John, the original TR2-4 starter motor (wiper motor, heater motor) uses a
wound field, and thus is not sensitive to polarity.  In effect, the polarity
of both the armature and field get switched at the same time, so the motor
still turns the same direction.  Only permanent magnet motors can be
reversed by switching the input polarity.

> In a related vein, if I
> change to a gear reduction starter, are they pos or neg ground?

I'm fairly certain they can be used either way, but it may be necessary to
change the connections.

Randall