RE: TR6 Purchasing Help

To: "triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Purchasing Help
From: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 11:50:18 +1030
> Gasoline as a coolant? How comforting...

Well, it is the most convenient thing to hand - after all you've got a
return line from the pressure regulator going into the tank right near
there... I suppose you could rig up some sort of intercooler arrangement if
you were some sort of mad scientist, but the petrol does a good enough job.
Well, actually it doesn't when it's extremely hot (> 40 deg C), hence I use
a Bosch pump as it usually reaches that peak at least a few times each
summer here...

Funnily enough, the Bosch pump uses the petrol as a lubricant and a coolant
(as do most modern fuel pumps that I'm aware of), however, you don't have to
explicitly make it the cooling medium... It's not really that dangerous
using the petrol, at least not any more dangerous than having a return line
into the tank anyway - you'd only run into problems if your system leaked,
and you have the same problems if you return line leaked anyway (it's just
that the petrol's a little warmer :-)...

Frank