Re: Best TR 'heater pipe' vendors?

To: <CarlSereda@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Best TR 'heater pipe' vendors?
From: "David Brister" <david.brister@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 18:02:29 +0100
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
My heater pipe was very corroded at the heater end and so was the little
bracket which held it to the right rear cylinder head stud.

I removed it and cut it  at about the #2 cylinder position thus saving a few
inches of pipe and the olive thing which made up the front joint. I found
that a piece of ordinary 1/2" copper tube as used in our domestic plumbing
fitted into the steel diameter so sweat soldered that in. An ordinary
plumber's pipe bender put a nice right angle bend in the copper and then I
made a new bracket from a piece of 1/8" steel which also soldered onto the
steel pipe. Finished it off with a coat of gloss black "Hammerite".

I also wondered about the fatigue problem so carry a 1/2" stopper and junior
hacksaw just in case but it's been there for many thousands of miles so far.
Many years ago copper pipes were quite common in car and motor bike engines
HTH

David Brister.
1967 TR4A