RE: Emission Control

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Emission Control
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 23:26:34 -0800
> Hi Mickey. I don't think the temperature switch could cause your
> problem. I
> believe the function of the switch is to disable the vacuum
> retard when the
> engine is hot. This has the effect of advancing the spark and
> therefore the
> idle speed and therefore the fan speed. It's supposed to keep the engine
> cooler. Of course advancing the spark makes the engine run
> hotter. Maybe not as hot?

If anything, advancing the spark (from the retarded value) will make the
engine run cooler, as it will be more efficient.  But the major effect is,
as you say, to increase idle speed and thus move more air through the
radiator.

> I have the entire vacuum retard system disconnected with no ill effect. I
> think this is a common thing to do. You will probably want to adjust your
> spark timing if you do this.

Actually, you shouldn't adjust the spark timing.  If it was timed properly
with the retard active (4 ATDC), it should advance to the correct 'static'
value (10 or 12 BTDC) with it disconnected.  This is the value you want to
use with the retard disabled.

Randall