Gearbox Rebuild

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox Rebuild
From: "Gerald Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 07:58:33 -0500
List,
I am building an overdrive gearbox and have a question regarding which style
layshaft to use. I can use a set of gears from a late 6 with the slip in style
layshaft roller bearings or I can use a gearset with the older style press in
layshaft roller bearings. Does anyone have any data or experience that would
support using the later style over the earlier? I am most familiar with the
earlier gearboxes and know that these bearings along with the layshaft are a
weak point in those gearboxes. I don't have any first hand experience with the
later style slip in bearings. Is this system really better than the earlier
system?
Thanks,
JVV